POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povcard from itrc may-june 2002 competition : Re: povcard from itrc may-june 2002 competition Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povcard from itrc may-june 2002 competition
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 30 Jul 2002 04:34:32
Message: <3d464f98@news.povray.org>
"Le Forgeron" <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Philippe Lhoste wrote:
> >
> > "Samuel Benge" <sbe### [at] caltelcom> wrote:
> > > Are you joking? I don't know much about hardware engineering, so I
> > > really can't tell...

> > Of course he is joking, 96GB is already hard to have on hard disk, so
think
> > of this in Ram...
> >

> No joking, just dreaming!
> Remember, 64K is enough for data page,
> 640K is enough for computer's memory,
> 512M is enough for a hard disk,
> 2 G is enough for a partition and a video file,
> 4 G is enough for file,
> 49 days and a few more is enough for a system clock to roll up...

Nothing wrong with a little dreaming... I still think it would have been a
good April Fool joke.

I meant, of course, that today it cannot be done.
"To make this card is not technically challenging." Really? Today? :-)

> > Plus at 800 million pixels/s *and* 90 frames/s, you got roughly 9
million
> > pixels per image, ie. for example a 3442x2582 image, far from the
> > 65536x65536 promised resolution. Unless they deliver either the
resolution
> > *or* the speed...
>
> Well, you have the problem of the available bandwith anyway at the
interface ;->
> That's probably the biggest bottleneck.

Well, you can add a TV output. HDTV anyone?

> > A Windows 3.11 support (not to mention Dos) is... funny. I see no
support
> > for AmigaOS not Tos (Atari)...
> >
> There was some in the early version (including also some older computer,
> including a ZX80 (ancestor of ZX81 !), but it goes out to reduce the list
:-)
> May be I should have kept it in ?

To list all old systems would have been funny, but a bit too long. It's OK
this way.

> > Is DKBTrace still alive? I used it on my Atari ST 520, and even
recompiled
> > it on a Sun workstation.
>
> Latest version is now called Povray 3.5, I believe...

Yeah, just curious if it has evolved along a parallel branch, or if anybody
is still using it.
Does PoV-Ray is able to understand DKBTrace scenes? I can't remember if the
syntax has changed a lot.

Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)
http://jove.prohosting.com/~philho/